We are seeking a self-driven, talented, and enterprising Postdoctoral Research Associate in the area of artificial intelligence (AI) to join our concerted effort to rethink medical scanners. In particular, we are seeking individuals with expertise in the area of deep learning, semi-supervised learning, self-supervised learning, and transfer learning methodologies to learn invariant and discriminative representations from multi-modal (imaging and non-imaging) data sets.
The Center for Advanced Imaging Innovation and Research (CAI2R) is developing disruptive medical imaging technologies that are intelligent, robust, accessible, and inexpensive. Our goal is to democratize medical imaging and revolutionize its role in patient care and preventative health.
The Postdoctoral Research Associate will join our dynamic interdisciplinary team of physicists, engineers, machine learning researchers, and radiologists. The role offers the chance to work at the intersection of two institutions that are at the forefront of their respective fields: NYU Courant Institute, a leader in applied mathematics and AI; and NYU Grossman School of Medicine, a leader in healthcare research and delivery. The successful candidate will have the opportunity to collaborate with eminent faculty members at both institutions, including Yann LeCun, PhD; Kyunghyun Cho, PhD; and Sumit Chopra, PhD.
The Postdoctoral Research Associate will report directly to Vice Chair for Research Daniel K. Sodickson, MD, PhD, and Associate Chair for Clinical and Translational Research Hersh Chandarana, MD, MBA, who lead our Scanners of the Future program. This role is part of our Innovation Fellows framework, offering protection from many of the usual demands and metrics of academic evaluation in order to allow greater focus on innovation. Successful Innovation Fellows will have special opportunities for advancement as faculty or senior research scientists.
- Conduct novel publishable research at the intersection of AI and medical imaging, aimed at developing AI-powered magnetic resonance (MR) scanning technologies that will enable development of cheaper and more accessible MR scanners, outfitted with suitable arrays of ancillary sensors.
- Develop AI-based methods to enable powerful new imaging capabilities using these scanners.
- Develop novel self-supervised or semi-supervised AI models to learn invariant and discriminative representations of signals acquired from multiple imaging and sensing modalities, including MR scanners, ultrasound and other ancillary sensors.
- PhD in a relevant field (computer science, physics, engineering, mathematics).
- Strong publication record in top-tier peer-reviewed journals or conferences in relevant fields (computer science, physics, engineering, mathematics).
- Experience in building novel machine learning models.
- Experience with relevant programming languages (Python, Matlab, C/C++, or similar).
- Capacity for both independent work and collaboration within a multidisciplinary team.
- Experience in MR signal acquisition, image reconstruction, or image analysis.
- Experience in developing AI models for problems in healthcare.
The Center for Advanced Imaging Innovation and Research (CAI2R, pronounced care) is a National Center for Biomedical Imaging and Bioengineering supported by the National Institute of Biomedical Imaging and Bioengineering (NIBIB) and operated by the Department of Radiology at NYU Langone Health.
CAI2R comprises approximately 150 full-time personnel dedicated to imaging research, development, and clinical translation. Our team is diverse and highly collaborative. We work in interdisciplinary groups that include engineers, scientists, clinicians, technologists, and industry experts.
Joining our team means becoming part of a diverse community that values cross-pollination of ideas, celebrates creativity, and nurtures an environment conducive to breakthrough innovations.
Timeline, Salary, and Benefits
We expect the appointed candidate to start in early 2022. The initial appointment will be for one to two years, with options to renew depending on mutual agreement. NYU Langone Health offers competitive pay and benefits.
Young scientists from underrepresented backgrounds are particularly welcome to apply.
NYU Langone is committed to diversity and inclusion in all aspects of recruiting and employment. All qualified individuals are encouraged to apply and will receive consideration without regard to race, color, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, age, religion, creed, or disability.
Send your CV, letter of interest, and 2-3 reference letters from recommenders of your choice to:
Daniel Sodickson and Hersh Chandarana, c/o Rania Assas
660 First Avenue, Fourth Floor
New York, NY 10016